Structural Lightweight Concrete
Structural lightweight concrete made with rotary kiln produced structural lightweight aggregate solves weight and durability problems in buildings and exposed structures. Structural lightweight concrete has strengths comparable to normal weight concrete, yet is typically 25% to 35% lighter. Structural lightweight concrete offers design flexibility and substantial cost savings by providing less dead load, improved seismic structural response, longer spans, better fire ratings, thinner sections, decreased story height, smaller size structural members, less reinforcing steel, and lower foundations costs. Structural lightweight concrete precast elements have reduced trucking and placement costs. The excellent durability performance of structural lightweight concrete made with expanded shale, clay or slate structural lightweight aggregate is a result of the ceramic nature of the aggregate, and its exceptional bond to and elastic compatibility with the cementitious matrix.
Structural lightweight aggregate's cellular structure provides internal curing through water entrainment which is especially beneficial for high-performance concrete, (HPC) Internal curing improves the contact zone which mitigates micro cracking.
Concrete using ESCS lightweight aggregate has better thermal properties, better fire ratings, reduced autogenous shrinkage, excellent freezing and thawing durability, improved contact zone between aggregate and cement matrix, less micro-cracking as a result of better elastic compatibility, more blast resistant, and has better shock and sound absorption, High-Performance lightweight aggregate concrete also has less cracking, improved skid resistance and is readily placed by the concrete pumping method.
Uses of Structural Lightweight Concrete
- Floors in steel frame buildings (lightweight concrete on fire-rated steel deck assemblies)
- Concrete frame buildings & parking structures (all types, including post-tensioned floor systems)
- Bridge decks, piers & AASHTO girders
- Specified density concrete
- Lightweight concrete precast & prestressed elements (beams, double-tees, tilt-up walls, raised access floor panel planks,
hog slats, utility vaults, pipes, ornamentals, etc.)
- Marine structures, floating docks, ships, & offshore oil platforms
- Fill concrete and insulating concrete
Schematic of Lightweight Aggregate Particle